Fall 2012

Fall 2012
[learning to live a perfectly imperfect life]

Rylee's MRI Update


Just wanted to update everyone on Rylee's MRI this morning...

First of all, thank you to EVERYONE who called, sent emails, texts, and left Facebook messages with your thoughts! We definitely felt them and feel so fortunate to have such love surrounding us!

Everything went pretty well... it's always hard to see your child go under anesthesia, but you just keep reminding yourself it's SO much better than having them scared and frantic about what's happening. Besides, there was no way Rylee would've been able to hold still for this... it took much longer than the average MRI because they had very exact positions they wanted her head/neck in... having her awake would've been torture (and most likely would have resulted in poor pictures.)

The Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon and Pediatric Radiologist were both there to be sure they got the pictures/views/angles they needed. (We also lined up some annual blood work to be done after she was under... pokes are never fun, and especially difficult for Rylee, so doing it today worked out well and saved us some hurt and tears.)

The surgeon told us after everything was done that he had glanced up at the screen (or whatever it is they see things on) a few times and "didn't see major pressure on the spinal cord," but that there is "definitely slippage" so he will take some time and review the results with some other doctors.

Of course, it's really good news to hear there isn't "major pressure"... though we aren't surprised by that too much. (If there were "major pressure" we would've seen symptoms of this before now.) But hey, we'll take the good news!

I can't say that I wasn't temped to bribe the surgeon to stay late tonight and review the results... (but I didn't think the $5 bill in my pocket would probably get me anything but a laugh.)

So, the plan is to... wait.

We are told we'll get a call "early next week" with more descriptive results. I am wondering if my idea of "early next week" (Monday morning by noon) is the same as the surgeon's idea of "early next week" (oh, maybe by Wednesday?) I know waiting is going to be difficult, but celebrating Rylee's birthday this weekend will definitely help!

What I am focusing on now is wisdom. I have a feeling that the decision to repair surgically or not may not be clear-cut. So, if there is anything you can do for us, please send good thoughts that Jeremy and I, with the guidance from Rylee's doctors, will be able to make the right decision for Rylee.

We will update next week when we find out the MRI results.

Again, thanks to everyone for your support, encouragement, prayers, friendship, and love!

Now, I'm off to cuddle a very brave little girl!

1 comments:

Rachel said...

Many patient prayers coming your way:)